Thursday 16 February 2012

I wish SWTOR was better. I'm quitting.


So this turned out be longer than I intended. Adding a TL;DR
  • I’m quitting SWTOR to play Rift
  • I might be posting about Rift
  • I’ll certainly be blogging about GW2
  • SWTOR left be disappointed, which is a shame
  • Too many flaws in the game/ gamedesign
  • SWTOR got infected by the EA syndrome, being pushed out far too soon

I have come to the conclusion that SWTOR isn’t the right place for me. I am simply not enjoying the multiplayer content as much as I preferred. So I am ending my subscription. But what does that mean for the blog? Well to be honest I am a bit unsure. But one thing is certain. I will stop posting SWTOR stuff. At the moment a friend and I have returned to Rift. And I must admit that Trion did a great job making the game enjoyable. Bioware could learn much from them. As for the blog I might start posting a little bit about Rift, but first I gotta spend much time learning everything there again. My next real blog project is going to be GW2. I am hoping I will get beta access and if I get I will start posting as soon as the NDA gets lifted. I am looking forward to GW2 since it’s going to be a great and innovative game. Arenanet are really breaking many parts of the classic MMO mold which is hopefully making it a great game with a new touch.

Well back to SWTOR. The leveling and story content is fantastic and definitely something I have enjoyed. The problem is, however, that behind this part of the game is a weak MMO. Sure, people might say that MMOs have their problems at launch and SWTOR has much more than WOW had at launch. But let’s get honest. That’s several years ago. Rift had a much better launch than SWTOR so BW kinda left me disappointed. So what’s actually wrong with SWTOR? First of all, the client runs poorly on my computer. It’s not one of the high end machines but it runs Rift, EVE and plenty of MMOs without bigger problems. The ability delay and low framerate makes it hard to enjoy the game, especially when pvping. The huge loading time doesn’t make it any better. Really BW, is that the best you could do? In a game with everything sharded into oblivion it takes more time to load a zone in SWTOR than it does to load the entire world in Rift or one of the continents in WOW.


Since I am a PVP focused player the PVP aspect of a game matters much to me. But BW just isn’t delivering that I expected. First of all the balance is kinda off. But I can accept that PVP balance is hard and it’s a relative new game. However I feel that they got absolutely no clue about what they are doing sometimes. They rushed out the nerf on Scoundrels/ Operatives (yeah yeah I know it’s the class I play) without actually handling the real issue first which is the stacking buffs and 50 vs low lvl situation. Once that was solved the high burst weren’t that OP anymore. But now they left Scoundrels without anything to make up for what made them good in pvp. I don’t like playing an OP class, but being the underdog in most situations is still frustrating. There are plenty of bad designed mechanics in SWTOR PVP that just makes it … bad. A good example is this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=258502&highlight=mitigation

Another bad thing about SWTOR is the UI design. There are few options to customize it and the UI is filled with bad game design and annoying features. We all know how freaking annoying it can be when the crew mission reward pops up and closes other windows while you are doing something else. Especially when browsing the market which is the worst pile of crap I have seen for ages. Really BW? A bad UI like that belongs to games before wow.

Well this post turned into a longer rant rather than a few lines about me stopping playing SWTOR. I have mentioned a lot of shit about SWTOR but the game got plenty of great features yet. But the game just isn’t ready and the bad things outweigh the good, unfortunately. SWTOR got infected by the EA syndrome, being pushed out far too soon which is a shame. Until then I’ll be playing Rift and cya in GW2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment